Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hurry up and wait

BY LESLIE WESTBROOK
I waited 38 minutes on hold on the telephone to speak with a Blue Cross representative, but boy, am I glad I didn’t give up. I was ready to cry when my monthly payment was pegged to shoot up to around $400, then $500 on my next birthday (since I asked). But then the lovely representative at the other end of the phone asked if I needed maternity coverage.

Hmm, what didn’t she get about my birth date?
“Not unless I am one of those miraculous Italian women (I am half-Italian) that bear children ridiculously late in life,” I muttered, before saving two hundred smackeroos a month on my medical insurance. My June rate, in fact, will be comparable to my former rate earlier this year: around $300 per month with a $2,500 deductible. If you are tired of the rates you are paying, call your agent or Blue Cross and ask about their relatively new plan called Common Sense. It’s well worth the wait. If it works out, you can thank me later. Or better yet, take me out for dinner.

My Crystal Ball
The verdict is in: I see a very rosy future for the wines that will soon be released from our area’s many talented wine folk that were in attendance at Elements Santa Barbara Wine Futures held in the corridors of the Santa Barbara County Courthouse on Saturday night. Attendees to the fun evening, brought to fruition by Elements Restaurant, were treated to a good time and many terrific wines, with a portion of the proceeds going to The Granada Restoration Project. Standbys, as well as some lesser-known winemakers, were offering generous pours and plenty of information on the new vintages that tasted mighty fine to this oenophile. Brander, Margerum, Foxen, Alma Rosa, Carr, Prodigy, Tercero, Di Bruno, Curren, Whitcraft and Seasmoke were just a few of the 90 wineries in attendance, with close to 500 attendees filling the hallowed halls.
These type of events are a great way to taste a broad array of wines, save gas and time, have a chance to meet oft-busy winemakers (whose vineyards and tasting rooms you’d like to visit at a later date), and order wines at a discount. All in all, a splendid thing — I can’t wait for next year’s event. Besides, it’s a lot more fun sipping great wine, nibbling on yummy food from Elements, with a background of live jazz (provided by Bob Ledner) in the Courthouse’s halls than being a juror, plaintiff, or defendant. The next wine event from Elements will be in the Sunken Gardens during Fiesta.

A Little Bird Told Me
My colleague Craig Smith (his blog is at www.craigsmithsblog.com), ubermeister of News Press legal wranglings and “beats me to the punch” blogger, noted that McCaw lawyer Barry Capello was dining at the Coast Restaurant & Bar at the Canary Hotel (as well as Nipper and Wendy) last week while five News Press editors/reporters/women were being honored at the Women in Communications 2nd Annual Acheivements Awards luncheon at The Canary Hotel. But astute County Supervisor Janet Wolf, who I sat next to at the luncheon, spied Capello walking by the downstairs meeting room where 100 movers and shakers had gathered for the event. Capello must have had to skip to the loo, which, as anyone who has been to Canary knows, is downstairs. The super crowd of powerful, smart dames even included a few cool dudes including Jerry Roberts, animator Keith English and Mr. Smith, who is in blogging from New York, not Washington.

Prison Break
The wheels of justice move very slowly, and sorely needed true prison reform may not occur until Hell freezes over. However, kudos to Sheriff Bill Brown, accompanied by Sup. Janet Wolf, who accepted $56.3 mil in jail bond funds in Sacramento last week for a new prison/re-entry program from the State of California, contingent on final approval in the next 90 days. The AB900 grant funding process began in November 2007 and the proposal team consisted of members from the Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Department, County Council, Planning and Development, General Services, Treasurers Office, CFO’s Office, Auditors Office, Assessors Office, and several expert consultants. It takes a village to create prison reform.
Did you know that Wasco State Prison, a sort of “clearing house-way station” for those convicted of crimes to be evaluated and determine where they will be sent/housed to spend their sentences, welcomes prisoners by putting them outside naked or in their underwear in cages? Not too fun in any weather, but try to avoid winter or summer months if you are heading that way anytime soon. And what’s happening with the Gubernator’s early release program for non-violent offenders we’ve been hearing about for some time now? Wake me up if anything happens…

A True Story, or Break My Back
Montecito upper village chiropractor Charlie Bissell has a host of fans and I am one of many. Three years ago, I bent over to get an egg out of my refrigerator, tweaked my back and could barely walk. Three sessions later, I was good as new.
Fast forward: my back went out again a few weeks ago, the morning I was due to not only attend a wedding in Malibu, but had been recruited to walk down the sandy beach aisle in my role as an old maid bridesmaid. Thankfully, Dr. Bissell was able to squeeze me in for an appointment that morning at the last minute, just hours before the wedding. After warm electrical stimulation on my back, some gentle manipulation and a few kind words, I was able to walk comfortably down the aisle.

A Victory for Victory
Last, but not least, BRAVO to Santa Barbara Theatre for bringing the riveting production of “Victory” by Athol Fugard to the Lobero last weekend. The powerful 65-minute drama had a profound effect on theatergoers and Tinashe Kajese is one of the most compelling actresses to pound the boards around here in a long time.

Leslie Westbrook is a freelance writer and editor. Address correspondance to her at thisandthat@santabarbarafree.com.

No comments: