Thursday, May 29, 2008

Three arrested for alleged conspiracy to commit homicide


Santa Barbara Police detectives arrested three men Wednesday who they say conspired to commit homicide.
Sgt. Lorenzo Duarte, a police spokesman, said the arrests came as a result of an ongoing investigation into the murder of a 16-year-old Santa Barbara boy who was stabbed to death during a July 16, 2007 gang fight on San Pascual Street. However, he said the arrests stem from an unrelated incident.
“We know who the target is but the investigation is continuing so we’re not releasing it at this time,” he said. “I can tell you that they did conspire to kill somebody.”
One of the men arrested Wednesday was Robert Joseph Martinez, 21, who was arrested earlier this month and charged with accessory to murder in connection with the July 16 homicide. Duarte said Martinez apparently posted bail after his earlier arrest, though he did not know when he was released from jail.
Six people, four of whom are juveniles, have been charged with murdering Lorenzo Valentin Carachure during the July 16 brawl. All have entered pleas of not guilty and are awaiting preliminary hearings.
Duarte said all three men arrested Wednesday are known gang members. The other two men arrested were, Joel Robles, 22, and Carl Samuel Flores Jr., 26.
Martinez was arrested at his home in Santa Barbara, Robles was arrested in Ventura and Flores Jr. was taken into custody during a traffic stop in Lompoc, Duarte said. All three men are being held in county jail on $1 million bail.
Attempts to reach the Santa Barbara County District Attorney’s Office to determine if the men have been officially charged were unsuccessful.

No comments: