Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Domestic dispute leads to rampage


Police arrested a local teenager several days after a domestic dispute erupted in violence and vandalism. Authorities also handled a repeat offender and several agitated men who appeared to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

May 25, 5 a.m. — A 19-year-old suspect, clearly upset with his girlfriend for unknown reasons, went on a rampage, breaking windows, vandalizing cars and injuring several victims. Authorities said the man called his girlfriend and asked to come over to her second-story apartment. When she opened the door, he hurled obscenities at her before striking her on the nose. As he stepped into the apartment, threatening to kill her and her family, the woman fled to another room and locked the door. When another family member entered the living room, the suspect left the apartment.
Before leaving the complex, the 19-year-old broke several windows, including those of several adjoining units. After making his way to the parking lot, the suspect began vandalizing a car owned by a resident of another apartment on the second floor. That resident heard the ruckus outside and stepped out onto the balcony to investigate. The suspect, spotting the man on the balcony, threatened to kill him and ran back up the stairs. The 19-year-old ran up to the resident, grabbed his pants and shirt, and attempted to throw him over the railing.
The victim managed to regain his balance and step away. However, a shove from the suspect sent the resident tumbling down the balcony stairs, suffering scrapes, bruises and a bloody nose as he fell to the parking lot below. At that point, the suspect fled the scene. Authorities noted other reports of vandalism in the same area and timeframe. Police tracked down the man and arrested him on May 30 on suspicion of attempted murder, threatening bodily harm, domestic battery and malicious mischief, booking him into jail in lieu of $1 million bail.

May 28, 5 p.m. — An employee at Lazy Acres, 302 Meigs Rd., spotted a familiar face in the store’s liquor section, a 46-year-old man suspected of stealing alcohol multiple times in the past three weeks. The employee watched as the man slipped a $17 bottle of rum into his jacket. Asked by the store manager to return the rum, the suspect merely grunted and left the store without paying. Authorities found the man in the bushes behind the story with the bottle of rum next to him, half empty. Police booked the suspect for burglary in lieu of $20,000 bail.

May 28, 7:30 p.m. — Instead of flames, local firefighters faced a 24-year-old intoxicated man who apparently wanted to mix it up with everyone in the station. The man entered Fire Station No. 2 on Cacique Street and attempted to start a fight with the first firefighter he saw, issuing a vocal challenge of, “Come on, bitch,” and swinging his arms.
After challenging two other firefighters to brawl, the suspect left the station. Police found him three blocks away and made note of his slurred speech, bloodshot eyes, unsteady gait and a strong odor of alcohol. Authorities arrested the man for public intoxication and disturbing the peace, booking him on $2,500 bail.

May 30, 9:16 p.m. — Three pedestrians flagged down a bike patrol officer at State and Cota streets, expressing concern about a bearded man screaming at people up the street. Police found the 45-year-old man as described, shouting expletives at numerous pedestrians and motorists in the area and referring to them as “yuppies.” After stopping the agitated man for disturbing the peace, officers noted the suspect was sweating profusely, had dilated pupils and a high heart rate. Further evaluation led authorities to arrest the man for being under the influence of a controlled substance. Police took a urine sample and sent it off for processing before booking the man on $2,500 bail.

No comments: