Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Police blotter


Oct. 9, 7:50 p.m. — Security guards at Sears, 3825 State St., detained a suspected shoplifter until police officers arrived. Authorities learned the 32-year-old suspect had been seen placing several items from the store in her large purse and leaving the store without paying.

When security guards contacted the woman, they confirmed she had stolen the items. Officers also determined that the suspect had shoplifted the day before at Sears and another location after searching her car and finding other stolen items.
Police arrested the woman on three counts of burglary, booking her in lieu of $20,000 bail.

Oct. 10, 6:46 p.m. — Police responding to reports of a disturbance in the 600 block of Eucalyptus Avenue encountered an angry woman in the midst of a dispute with another tenant. As authorities tried to defuse the situation, the 58-year-old woman walked back into her home with an officer close behind.
As she stepped inside, the woman slammed the door shut forcefully, nearly hitting the officer. As police attempted to pull the woman from behind her door, she became violent and refused to follow commands. Authorities managed to take her into custody for resisting arrest.
Half an hour later, the woman’s sister, a 43-year-old Santa Barbara resident, showed up on the scene after learning of the arrest. Her appearance instigated her sister’s temper again and officers asked her to leave several times before escorting her outside. Upon exiting the home, the woman turned and hit an officer on the hand.
Police arrested the 43-year-old for resisting arrest and battery on a police officer. Both women were booked in lieu of $2,500 bail.

Oct. 11, 8 p.m. — An Oxnard man who suspected that his wife was cheating on him tracked her down in Santa Barbara in a car with another man. The 41-year-old waited until his wife went out for the night and drove to an area in Santa Barbara where she likes to hang out. Spotting her seated in a vehicle with her apparent boyfriend, the man approached the car and picked up a broken shaft of a golf club lying in the street.
As he began hitting the window of the car, his wife got out with her 3-month-old son. Her boyfriend locked the door and refused to exit the vehicle as the husband continued to swing away at the windows.
After the married man stopped striking the car, the boyfriend stepped out. The husband immediately began swinging at the other man, hitting him several times on the head. The boyfriend managed to grasp the club and the two men struggled over the weapon.
Eventually, the boyfriend broke away and began walking down the street with his attacker in tow. Police arrived on the scene shortly thereafter, alerted by an uninvolved witness, and took the angry husband into custody.
The victim of the assault suffered a swollen lip and bruises to his ear and neck. Authorities booked the suspect in lieu of $30,000 bail for assault with a deadly weapon.

No comments: