Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Police blotter


Oct. 23 — Security guards at two separate Macy’s outlets in Santa Barbara called police after catching shoplifters trying to pilfer expensive clothing from the store in apparently unrelated incidents. At 12:40 p.m., loss prevention officers at the 3805 State St. Macy’s spotted a man conceal two shirts in a bag and leave the store without paying.

When officers spoke with the 41-year-old Goleta resident, he admitted to entering the store with the intention to steal clothing. He had selected two shirts valued at $107.40.
Less than four hours later, at 4 p.m., authorities were called to the 701 State St. Macy’s on reports of another shoplifter. Security guards told police they saw the suspect take a white Ralph Lauren polo shirt valued at $75 off the shelf, cut off the electronic sensor, place the shirt under his clothes and walk out without paying. Officers found a razor blade and $16.46 in the 23-year-old Santa Barbara man’s pockets.
He also admitted to entering the store with the intention to steal clothing. Police booked both men into jail in lieu of $20,000 bail for burglary.

Oct. 24, 10:45 p.m. — An employee at the Canary Hotel, 31 W. Carrillo St., called authorities after a man challenged him to a fight. The employee told police the subject had entered the building and asked to be directed to the stairs, saying he planned to climb to the roof and jump off.
When ordered to leave, the suspect reportedly squared up, raised his clenched fists and told the employee, “I’m going to kick your ass.” After two other employees came to their colleague’s aid, the man left the hotel.
He then promptly ran in front of a moving vehicle, which swerved and narrowly avoided striking him. When police caught up to the suspect in the 900 block of Chapala Street, he admitted he was attempting to commit suicide. Authorities took the 47-year-old into custody on $2,500 bail for challenging to fight.

Oct. 24, 10:50 p.m. — Officers responded to a home in the 500 block of Figueroa Street following reports of a fight between roommates. During their investigation, police asked one resident for identification. The 26-year-old man presented authorities with a consular card issued by the Mexican government.
However, as the man was digging through his wallet, officers could clearly see a social security card and became suspicious when the suspect said he had only been in the country for three months. After receiving his consent to search the wallet, police found a fake social security card and a fake resident alien card, both with the suspect’s name and a United States government seal.
The suspect admitted to purchasing both fraudulent documents in Los Angeles two months prior in order to gain employment. Authorities arrested him on $20,000 bail for possession of a false government document and an immigration hold is pending.

Oct. 25 — Police received a call from a resident in the 700 block of Ortega Street reporting a theft in progress. The caller told police someone had knocked on her door. When she looked out the window, the victim saw a man rifling through the trunk of her car, removing items.
When police arrived, the 34-year-old suspect was still at the vehicle, standing next to a pile of items on the ground. Police also found several personal items belonging to the victim stuffed in the suspect’s pockets.
Among the objects removed from the car were 24 compact discs, a camera bag, five pairs of underwear, an art portfolio containing original prints and a lotion travel pack. The total value of the items was estimated at $865.
After running a criminal history check, police determined the suspect was on probation for possession of a controlled substance and destruction or concealment of evidence. Authorities booked the man in lieu of $20,000 bail for grand theft.

Oct. 26, 3:53 a.m. — Hospital officials called police after a subject arrived in the emergency room with wounds consistent with an assault. Police spoke with the 29-year-old victim, who received treatment for cuts to his left cheek and ear.
The man told officers he had been drinking in a parking lot near his home in the 1500 block of San Pascual Street when a stranger approached. The suspect, described as approximately the same age as the victim, asked if he could drink with the victim.
The 29-year-old obliged, handing over a brew. After drinking for approximately 20 minutes, the suspect hit the victim in the face with a beer bottle, reportedly without provocation. The victim did not provide any additional details about the incident.

Oct. 26, 5:45 a.m. — Arriving in the 3800 block of State Street after receiving reports of a vehicle blocking traffic, police found a young man passed out behind the wheel of a car in the middle of the roadway. Authorities noted the 22-year-old Medford, Mass., resident had left the vehicle in drive.
During their subsequent investigation, officers noticed the man had obvious signs of intoxication, including an odor of alcohol, bloodshot eyes and unsteady balance. He provided breath samples of 0.19 and 0.17 blood-alcohol content, well over the legal limit of 0.08. Authorities booked him into jail on $5,000 bail for driving under the influence.

Oct. 26, 10:11 a.m. — Medics called police for help with a combative subject who had apparently suffered a seizure in the 3600 block of San Pedro Lane. By the time officers arrived, emergency personnel had the 23-year-old man restrained.
When police ran a background check on the man, they discovered a possible motive for his combative nature — an outstanding $200,000 warrant out of Texas for theft. Authorities took the suspect to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, where he was treated and released into police custody. Officers then booked the man into County Jail in lieu of $200,000 bail on the outstanding warrant.

Oct. 26, 8:01 p.m. — Police arrived in the 1600 block of San Pascual Street on reports of a collision. During their investigation, officers determined a 24-year-old local resident had been driving south and hit three parked cars while making a turn.
The suspect also had his daughters, 2 and 6 years old, in the backseat without car seats or seatbelts. Police noted the man showed signs of intoxication, including bloodshot, watery eyes, unsteady balance and an odor of alcohol.
The suspect provided two breath samples, both revealing 0.12 blood-alcohol content, above the legal limit of 0.08. Authorities arrested the 24-year-old for DUI, driving without a license and child endangerment, booking him in lieu of $100,000 bail.

No comments: